Our History

 

     Our church was inaugurated in Mecca Township, Ohio, on December 5, 1822.   On December 6, 1822, a meeting was held to establish the church and it  was agreed by the nine charter members in attendance that they would adopt the Confession of Faith, Covenant, and Articles  of Practice as used by the Grand River and Portage Presbyteries at that  time. The church is  the oldest religious organization in the Township of Mecca.

Mecca Black & White

     The name of the church was changed to the Congregational Church of Mecca prior to  1841 when it was decided that they and the Free  Will Baptist Church would yoke together to construct one church building.  It would be used in an equal fashion by both denominations.  The building was constructed on what is now  St. Rt. 46 in Mecca  and dedicated in the fall of 1842 with the bell being hung on December 1, 1860.  The Free Will Baptist Church terminated their services in the building sometime  after 1876.

     For many years the pulpit was filled by Hiram divinity  students for lack of a permanent pastor.   In the 1950’s the church body decided to build a parsonage to house a  full time pastor and his family.  At this  time, Mecca Community Church went into partnership with the Greene Community  Church to share a pastor each Sunday. By 1975, there was urgency for larger  facilities to meet the needs of the growing congregation.

     On October 3, 1978 a loan was secured to purchase  thirty four acres of land on Phillips-Rice Road.  The loan was paid off in a short period of  time.  On February 16, 1984 a loan was taken out to build the present church  building.  A ground breaking ceremony was  held on May 6, 1984 and the building was dedicated on September 29, 1985.

SONY DSCIMG_4569-25IMG_4586-25

      The stained glass window of Jesus in the  garden and the original bell placed at the old church in 1860 are in place at  the new church along with the pulpit and several other items that had been used  for many years.  In 1989 a family room was added.  The loan was paid  off in 1998 at which time a mortgage burning ceremony was held.

     The original church on State Route 46 served as a free clothing  ministry which was open to the public.   An estimated 2,000 persons frequented the ministry each year. In the fall of 2006  the original church was purchased by Randy Guyette of Eagle Creek Designs, Inc. The deconstruction of the church began in the winter of 2006. Shortly thereafter, the building was sold to Hiram College and reconstructed as the  residence for the Garfield Institute for Public Leadership. The original  Mecca Community Church can be seen, beautifully restored, on the corner of State Routes 305, 82, and 700 (across from the historic Hiram Inn).

mcc_at_hiram_college